tiistai 28. kesäkuuta 2011

Viikkokatsaus

I’ve been trying to motivate myself to work for the past two hours now. Suddenly it seems much more interesting to finish decorating my room (I’ll try to get some decent photos by tomorrow… it’s starting to look very nice even though I never would have thought I liked a room with so much orange and purple in it) and listening to my childhood favorite shows’ themes on YouTube… I still know words to Tao Tao, Around the World in Eighty Days and Alfred J Kwak, just to mention a few :D

I really do like my second job (much more than the one I do during daytime, to be honest). I just need to relax every now and then too. I feel like I’ve been working non-stop since arriving here. I had a bit of a meltdown this weekend, mostly because I was so tired…

I think I need to tell you a few things about where I live first, so that you understand. Grenoble is probably the most dangerous city in France with several different mafia groups and a pretty important population of immigrants. And I happen to live right next to one of the worst ghettos of this city. It’s usually ok, but I don’t feel very safe about going jogging all by myself or coming home with the tram late at night (after sunset). But so far I’ve felt safe enough to walk to work, through a park that lies in the middle of the notorious cité.

Thursday, though, I walked in the park on my way home around 5.30pm and passed some adolescents who were fooling around. They started throwing things at me but I ignored them and then one of them took a rock, about the size of a large strawberry, and threw it right into my head. It hurt pretty bad. Before I even realized, I was yelling at them the loudest I could, I just sort of exploded and I’m not even sure what it was that I told them but it was in Finnish anyway. Such a primitive reaction… They ran away laughing and I continued walking shaking with rage. And then I started to hyperventilate. I thought about everything that could have happened, if the rock hit my face for example. You just don’t do that to people. I called Maxime crying and barely breathing and luckily he managed to calm me down. He’s so good at these moments, all calm and reassuring…

So that was it. Apparently it happens all the time, the young people in the cité don’t have anything to do so they do tout et n’importe quoi… I’ve stopped going to the park in the evening, though. It makes me mad that I can’t walk or run there without needing to be afraid but I still prefer to avoid the place. If only for my mum whom I haven’t even told because she wouldn’t sleep for at least a week if she knew about this.

This weekend I felt I really needed time to just relax. Maxime had made some research and planned a dozen things for us to do - and all I wanted do was to sleep… He was really cool about it though. We went for a very nice drive in the countryside Saturday evening. The weather was perfect, very hot and sunny and I felt so happy! I find sitting in a car funnily calming and relaxing so it really was a perfect way to spend a melting hot afternoon. And then I slept. For ten good hours during the night and some more Sunday afternoon. Perrrrfect. With some very delicious Italian ice cream on top :)

Now I think I’m off to bed… I’ll work hard tomorrow then!

Sweet dreams everyone.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti